Monday, May 01, 2006

It's all who you know

Today I went to go tutor my friend like I do every Tuesday morning. Today though he said "can you help me with something today?"

I said sure, so we hopped in his car and drove to his aunt's gym/swimming pool/sauna/hot baths. Appparently she runs the place and wants to attract a foreign audience. We go into her really nice office and she pours me tea from the coolest little tea thing on her desk. I love Asia!

She talks on to my student in Korean and then we all stand up and she takes me on a tour of the facility. Its a little older but really nice and quiet. In the end I walk out with a free membership for life and a months free membership for Jon. PLUS three free month passes to give to my "foreign friends".

The lady thinks that if foreigners come to the gym it will attract Korean people - and she is probably totally right! Heck, I'll be a tourist attraction if it means I can swim and work out for free!

As we were leaving I turned to my student and said, "In English we have an expression it's all who you know, and today we saw that in action!" I love the connections we are making here, Korea is all about networking it seems. My other student has a brother who is a doctor so she said if we are ever sick he will look after us.

It really is all about who you know, I've never been so well connected in my life!

No comments: