Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Old ladies and umbrellas

Hi, it's Emily this time - I know that I have been super lax in blog posting lately! I trust though that you have enjoyed the creative stylings of my wonderful husband!

I wanted to share a quick anectode that happened to me the other day.

It was pouring rain - really hard Asia rain that we just don't get in the praries. I was rushing off the bus to head to the grocery store, huddled under my trusty umbrella when I felt a tug at my umbrella handle. I looked over to see a very cute old korean lady huddled with me under my umbrella. She apparently had not been as proactive as I - and had neglected to bring an umbrella of her own.

There is not a lot of pretention among Korean people especially with older Koreans. The lady was getting wet, I had an umbrella, so naturally she would wrap her arm around me and my umbrella and share my dry oasis. Its a little bit unnerving for the unitiated when Korean ladies take your bag on the bus to hold because you are standing, or look through your bags when you come back from the grocery store, or look over your shoulder at the bank teller, or touch your hair and your skin and mutter in Korean.... the list goes on. I've gotten suprisingly used to these occurences, and so was hardly phased with the cute lady and my umbrella.

In my broken and poor Korean, I asked where she was going and she pointed in the general direction of our aparment complex. And off we went. It was raining SO hard and the lady would look at my every so often and laugh. I know that she was juiced to have a story to tell all of her cronies about walking in the rain with the "waygeuk" (foreign) girl.

It was fun and cute and reminded me again of why I live in Korea. This culture challenges me to give up a bit of my bubble that I have built around myself.

I didn't get to go to the grocery store that day but I did meet a great lady who saved her hairstyle from the rain and put a smile on my face!

No comments: