Saturday, December 23, 2006

MySpace

So I recently checked out some of my friend's pages that are on MySpace. I was thoroughly unimpressed. What the heck is MySpace, anyway? You go to someones page, but all it has is comments and pictures from other people. I don't want to read other people's comments - I want to see what the page owner is up to. If you want to read what that person wrote, they have to have a blog. Is a blog is the 8 track player of this day and age? Am I behind the times?

Maybe I am a generation behind everyone else on the internet. Or maybe I just don't have the apparently common desire to read what everyone else says to someone. It's like listening to their phone messages. Or reading the text messages on their cell phone. Or listening to half of a conversation on the bus. There's no context, and not really any appeal.

If you can explain to me why MySpace is fun, I'd love to know. Or, maybe it's not fun. Maybe it's the "Emperor's New Clothes" for the next generation. It's only cool because everyone else says it's cool. Maybe they're just waiting for someone to disagree, so they can too. Maybe it's the reassuring feeling of having 96 close and personal friends, seven of which have posted recently so you feel like things are really warming up.

I just don't get it.


Merry Christmas!

No comments: