Sunday, December 17, 2006

Come Again?

Whenever I teach a class, there are certain students that I can count on to know the answer to most questions. They are naturally bright, admirably disciplined, or a combination of the two. Whichever it is, they can help the class (and me) get out of a jam when no one seems able (willing?) to answer a question.

There are other students in every class that tend not to pay attention. Occasionally, if said student is not paying attention, I will ask them the next question in order to reinforce the fact that they should listen in class. This generally works and I find it to be a rather effective technique.

Last week, such a situation happened. I was merrily teaching away (as is my habit) when I happened to notice that a student was (somehow) not engaged in the lesson. How could this be? To remedy this disturbing occurrence, I simply asked him the next question (the nature of which eludes me at the moment). For the sake of the story, let's say it was "What is your favorite holiday?"

His surprising response, which stumped me completely, was "May I burp?"

I stood there for a second. I was trying to figure out some way that "May I burp?" could be related to what I was saying. Students aren't normally so random. I was about to ask for clarification when another student piped up.

"He means 'Excuse me.'"

Ah. Right. Excuse me. Repeat the question, proceed as usual.

No comments: