Monday, May 07, 2007

When $5 is worth it

I (Jon) generally have two rules for a hairdresser in Korea: cut my hair short, and please don't talk to me. My Korean is not quite what I would care for it to be, and I tend to get a little nervous when a hairdresser attempts to get chatty.


Last year, I got my hair cut by the same lady all year long. I would go to the haircut street (about 5 hair salon places within two blocks) and I would go to her. Why? She was seldom busy, she cut my hair and there was no small talk. We understood each other.

This year, I've been searching for a new hairdresser. There's a bunch of places in our neighborhood. I started with one, and she was great. Her and her friend would make Emily & I coffee and order us dumplings when we went there. The cut itself would cost $5, and I'm sure the coffee and food cost them $2.50, so it was disappointing but not surprising when they were out of business a month or two later.

I found another place. She was chattier, but friendly. Dang good cut and shampoo for $5. Best haircut I've had in a while. Would she be the new one?

A month passes (I measure my haircuts in months - one month past is time for a cut) and I'm looking for a cut. She's really busy and I don't feel like waiting. I head over to the "Blue Hair Club," which has a Guinness World Record for the most amount of franchises opened in the shortest time, or something. 250 locations in 3 years. Impressive, though I don't see the reason for success.

The lady who cut my hair cut half of the hair on top, used no fewer than six razors on the side and sent me over to shampoo my own stinkin' hair. Short sides, long top, my own shampoo? And still $5? I don't think so!

I repent, learn the error of my ways and head back to the lady on the corner. Good job, shampoo and still only $5. Totally worth it.

No comments: