Monday, November 27, 2006

Just One of Those Days

Yesterday (Monday) was just one of those days for me (Jon). Not much specific, but just a lot of little things. Want to know why? I'll break it down for you.

1. It was Monday. (Inherently unpleasant.)
2. It was raining. I bought a new coat (cashmere/wool blend) and was uncertain of the care for it. As a result, I really wanted to wear my coat but had to be careful of getting it wet. The rain was therefore disappointing.
3. Because it was Monday and raining, many people drove instead of taking the bus.
4. Because many people drove, my bus ride which normally takes 10 minutes instead took 40 minutes. I was late for work.
5. Because I was late for work, I was locked out of the teachers room (a communal office) because they were all at their Monday staff meeting.
6. Monday and Tuesday I teach grade 9 students. The grade 9's wrote their exams last week. Most of the grade 9's still have a month of classes. How much do you care if you're finished your test but you still have classes? Yeah, about that much. My first class was miserable.
7. Monday is the busiest day of the week for me with 5 classes to teach. My co-teacher asked if she could move a class from Tuesday into my only spare in the morning. No big problem, but it means I taught 6 out of a possible 7 classes on Monday.
8. Lunch involved a fair amount of seafood. (I'm allergic to seafood, as a refresher.)
9. After lunch, I got a phone call asking me to go out and teach an English camp for a week. Right now. "Leave school, pack your stuff and come out to camp." Great news! I leave school (ten minutes before my only spare of the day was to start), change, half pack and...
10. I get another phone call. "It doesn't work for you to come to camp. Go back to school."
11. I go back to school. Now, I'm justifiably late and the bus goes like a speed demon. House to school in 20 minutes, including walking time. I have now spent my only free time going home and coming back to school.
12. Because of the wasted spare time, I am now behind in my work. I spend some time in the evening working and...the computer crashes. Our computer has this sucky habit of crashing whenever it feels like it's working too hard, and gee by golly, if it wasn't working too hard right then.

By that point, I figured that I had enough of the day. I went and joined Emily on the couch and figured it was finished. If I just sat on the couch, nothing else could happen to me. I experienced some real "God Joy" though since I didn't really get frustrated or angry at any point. I came close with the cancelled camp invitation, though. Instead, I felt a "joy without reason," in a day where almost everything seemed to be going wrong.

I'm still happy it's Tuesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon!
Well that was quite amusing to read. It's more enjoyable to read these sorts of things than go through them.
Just wanted to let you know that I've been thinking about you. I was driving to work this morning and heard one of your favourite songs, actually it was the song that you told me you wanted played at your funeral. You shared that with me one morning and we were commuting together to school, the song..."Breakfast" by Newsboys. It was a great moment of reminiscing. Have a great day and hopefully the rest of your week has gone much better. Take care! Chad Verge
Edmonton, AB