Sunday, December 11, 2005

Tales from the classroom

So far, I have been loving teaching in Korea. I don't think I could teach elementary full time or in Canada (there's just a few cultural things to my advantage here), but I love the situation that I'm in. Most of the kids are amazing, and with the exception of a scant few, they are generally amazing. It's fun, often amusing and very fulfilling.

Some things that I've found amusing so far (just as highlights):

Brought to Class:
Balloon animals
A lifesize replica of an AK-47 machine gun
A grasshopper in a pencil case
A rather large snowball (it snowed and the grade 3's brought me a present)
A hamster in a pencil case

Said in Class:
"The crap bit my hands." (Koreans don't have much distinction between L/R and B/P in their language so it was actually supposed to be "crab")

"Teacher, I think your wife is pretty. You... you are so-so. So I think she is better than you."

(Said of a little finger puppet)
Student: "Teacher, this is my god!"
Teacher: "Oh, that's not good!"
Student: "But it's my bodyguard!"
(And my misunderstanding becomes apparent. What I heard as "god" was actually "guard.")

Written on a Fill-in-the-Blank Test:
Here's your meal. Be careful! Your waitress is hot. (The correct answer was "plate.")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey you two!
Man work just hasn't been the same without you guys! Glad to hear that your doing great! Oh and I was just moved up to receiver at the beginning of November! Cool eh? Got lots more to tell you, but with the holidays, I should have the time to write it in an email. Everyone at work says hi!