Wednesday, October 26, 2005

KimChi

I have a confession to make....


I'm pregnant!!!!!!


Just kidding! Did your mouths drop?? No we are definately not with child at the present time so don't you worry!

No my confession is this:
For the first two months of living in Korea I ate absolutely no KimChi. I would aviod it at all costs which is pretty impressive. Even Jon didn't realize that I hadn't eaten any of it. You have to understand the KimChi culture here in Korea. A meal is not a meal without KimChi, it comes with everything. You eat it before your meal, with your meal, you cook it on the grill, you eat it cold, you cut it with scissors. Its a very integral part of Korean food culture and I avoided it like the Bubonic plague.

I don't know exactly what I was afraid of. I am usually the adventurous food eater...

But finally one day at our church's cafeteria I broke down and told Jon I hadn't eaten any of it. So I tried it.. and I liked it!!! I really really liked it!

Now I crave KimChi. I crave its spiciness, its smellyness -- the whole bit! When I walk through the market and can smell KimChi I breathe in deep breaths of it. Go figure. Maybe when I do get pregnant (IN A FEW YEARS) that is what my midnight cravings will be. No pickles and icecream for this expat -- its KimChi all the way!

No comments: