Monday, April 02, 2007

This is your flesh. Say goodbye.

On Saturday, I (Jon) went to the doctor for a general checkup with some questions I had. I needed some asthma medication, my wrist had been bothering me and I had a mole on my head that I wanted to look into getting removed.

I get the prescription for the asthma medicine, which was about $2. For all you asthmatics out there, that was brand name Ventolin, which will run you probably $100 in Canada. Pharmaceutical companies are evil. I digress.

The mole will be about $20 to remove. I wanted to get rid of it because it gets cut, poked, prodded, etc. every time I get a hair cut.

The doctor says my wrist is likely a bruised tendon and he can give me a shot of anti-inflammatories, no problem. He says this after feeling around my wrist for the problem, thereby aggravating the problem. I say sounds good. Relief would be nice.

So the good doctor ushers me into the "procedure room," which is about 10 beds, two feet apart from each other. You can see what every one else is having done. Perhaps like medical window shopping. "Oh, that looks good! I'll take two."

He asks me to lie down. I think that it's to get the proper angle for my wrist injection. He says it'll be a small incision and asks about previous general anesthetics. I'm getting curious as to what kind of injection this will be. He says he's going to cut my hair.

I'm getting my mole removed. Didn't ask for it, just asked the price of it. Hair - cut. Freezing - frozen. "You'll feel a slight tingle. I'm using electricity to burn it off of your head." Smell - burning flesh and hair. Nurse draws curtain. Burning flesh - not good advertising. I feel the tingle. About two minutes later, a bandage appears three inches from my face. Behold! My mole.

"This is your flesh. Say goodbye." End quote. One of our friends, Ryan, said it would be a good tag line for some new horror movie.

Wrist - still hurting. Mole - gone. Healing nicely too, by the way. Classic Korean misunderstanding.

No comments: