Saturday, January 07, 2006

The fastest 3 years of my life...

As many of you will know, I (Jon) left Canada 6 months ago at the ripe old age of 22. My birthday is September 10, 1982, so I soon turned 23 by all familiar calculations. However, Korea has a different way of reckoning ages.

The first 100 days of anything is a very important milestone in Korea. Babies, for example, turn one year old 100 days after they were born. The reasoning (which makes more sense than Canadian age does, in many instances) is that the child was alive for nine months before they were born, so they are one year old 100 days, or about 3 months, after they are born. After that, everyone turns one year older on January 1 (which is something that I don't understand as much).

So my birthday being when it is, I would have turned one on approximately December 20, 1982 and two on January 1, 1983. I therefore turned 25 on January 1, 2006.

I have aged three years in only six months, which has certainly been the fastest three years of my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys...good to hear from you (curious as to how you found my small tribute to myself among the giant internet...meh). Glad to hear things are going good. Oh, and *3 Happy Birthday Jon. Anyway, if you want me to post a better picture of you two (wedding or otherwise...it was the only one I had) then sure, send one my way. Take care you two.
Jer