Monday, August 08, 2005

Life in Gwangju - August 8, 2005

Hello Everyone!

I thought that I would do a quick blog update today at the fresh beginning of a new week here in Korea! We were very excited to find out today that Jon's last day of summer intensive is August 19th, a lot sooner than we thought it was! We are very happy about that, and it means soon our schedules will go back to being a bit more normal!

We had a good weekend, it was fun to hang out with some of our new friends here in Korea. We hosted a bible study at our house on Saturday, attended by two other foreigners we have met, as well as two Koreans. We had a great time together, and afterwards we ordered in Pizza and Fried Chicken and played games!! It was such a treat to play games again. As our Canopy friends can attest to, we are big game lovers!! We still do miss poker night, and settlers though. Lee and Holly, if only we could somehow snap our fingers to have you here!

It was very nice to have a Korean in the house who could order food for us to be delivered. It was such a treat! They come insanely fast here, and all food delivery people drive motorcycles like crazy people here!! You will often get cut off on the SIDEWALK by motorcycles who are trying to get out of traffic :)

On Saturday afternoon we went to a coffee shop with some friends and one of our friends ordered this very fancy looking drink...Isn't it beautiful??

I have made friends with some old women who sit on benches beside our apartment building. They speak no English, but they are totally fascinated with this foreigner who comes and sits with them. They touch me a lot, fan me with their fans, look through my bags, and speak a lot in Korean, but I really want to show them Jesus' love even if I don't speak their language. They are so precious.

Jon and I are planning on starting Korean classes in September and I think that will really open up a lot of doors . Its strange having no clue what people are saying most of the time.

We bought some really cool shirts here the other day. I got one that has a picture of Bambi on it looking guilty and it says "Bomb!" on it. I don't know what it means exactly but it makes me laugh. I also got a Pippi longstocking shirt. Jon got a Batman shirt and some other comic book shirt. The clothes here are really cool and REALLY cheap!!

Its funny the combination of things that you see in buildings here. Everything in Korea is built "up" because there isn't any space, so in one building near us the main floor is a convenience store and hair salon, above that is a church, above that is a boxing club (sounds like the canopy) and above that is "Dr. Kim's internal medicine" weird eh??

When we had the bible study on Saturday, one of the Korean fellows, Phillip was getting ready to leave. It was kind of late so I said to him in a very concerned voice "are you sure you are going to be okay to get home??" and he said, "um yes, I AM Korean!!" I forgot that he could actually talk to people and he knows his way around. I am so used to us being so clueless!

I have some quick funny Korean anecdotes for ya:

at church the man who does announcements says "okay everyone, big hands" when he wants people to clap.

at a different church we went to the announcement guy was talking about some sign up form and he said "I will pass out after the service"

they have a brand of clothing here called "Canadian woodcutters" and their slogan is f***in' freezing! Its written on all of these shirts. I don't think people realize what their shirts say :)

the TV shows that are in English that you can get regularly here are Sabrina the Teenage Witch and The Nanny.... I have no idea why!

we went to a board game cafe the other day and people had these giant orange toy hammers they kept hitting each other in the head with (see picture below)




sometimes, in those crane games (you know the ones where you can win stuffed animals at home) there are live hamsters as a prize!!! I have also seen phones, bras, and alarm clocks in crane games here.

there is a "Alien" themed Dance Dance Revolution room here in Gwangju!

Alright, I think that is about all from us here for now. We love you all and we miss you so much!!

Love, Emily and Jon

No comments: